Chicken Curry (කුකුල් මස් ව්යාංජනය)
If you didn’t know already, Sri Lankan food is all about layers of flavour that comes with a combination of fresh local produce, rich Spices and herbs, and of course staples such as Coconut Milk. Spicy and juicy, this chicken curry can be served at any occasion and is strictly for meat lovers alone.
A not so hard dish to prepare, the chicken curry is a feast for anyone who is hungry for Sri Lankan delights. From the roasting of spices to the splitter splatter of oil and the aroma of the Ginger and Garlic being infused together, the preparation itself will make your mouth water.
Here’s a recipe that you can try.
The chicken marinade
- 1 Kg Chicken (medium) (washed, cleaned and cut into pieces)
- 2 Tablespoon Sri Lankan Curry Powder
- 2 1/2 Teaspoon Salt (Or according to your preference)
- 2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar (You can use tamarind as an option)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 4 Pandan Leaves (thin slices)
- 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom pods
- 1 Lemon Grass
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 8 Cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger (chopped)
- 1 green chillie
- 3 dried chillie
- 1 Tablespoon black(roasted) curry powder
- 2 1/2 Cups Coconut Milk
- Step 1: Marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients in the marinade mix. Make sure to mix well preferably with your hand so that all the pieces are coated evenly. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before you cook.
- Step 2: Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. When oil is hot add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, lemongrass, pandan leaves, cardamom pods, cloves, cumin, green chillie, dried chillie and the cinnamon stick to the pan and fry for about 2 minutes. Keep stirring. Now add garlic, ginger and onion into the pan and mix well. Fry this for about 2 more minutes while making sure the spices are not burnt.
- Step 3: Add the marinated chicken to the pan and mix well so that all ingredients are well combined. Fry chicken for about 5-6 minutes tossing occasionally. Put the lid on and keep cooking for about 10 more minutes. Now pour the coconut milk into the sauce pan and mix well. Cook for a further 10 minutes until you see a thick gravy. Then add black curry powder into the chicken curry and give it a stir. Add salt to taste if you need more. Turn off the heat.
Serve hot with a carb of your choice.